Options screen can be opened from the Game Shell, or from the in-game
escape menu. It contains a number of different sections:
- Resolution: This dropdown lets you choose the screen resolution and refresh
rate that matches your monitor. Selecting lower values for this can
improve framerate if you have a less powerful machine.
This toggle lets you run the game in full screen mode (borderless
windowed mode) or windowed mode. Note that some extreme aspect ratios
in windowed mode may not be supported.
- Quality Setting: This
dropdown lets you choose from 6 different predefined quality settings.
Each enables more sophisticated graphics settings, such as better
shadows, greater shadow distance, and more lights.
F1 in game toggles a framerate indicator which may be helpful in
determining which graphics settings are best for your machine. The Nest
and Combat have the highest resource demands.
- Master Volume: This slider controls the overall game volume relative to your system volume.
- Music Volume: This slider controls the volume of the randomly composed music tracks in the game, relative to the master volume.
- UI Audio Volume: This slider controls the volume of UI effects, such as clicking, relative to the master volume.
- FX Audio Volume: This slider controls the volume of the sound effects produced by objects in the 3d world (Nest and Combat).
Zoom Sensitivity: This slider controls how responsive the game is to
your mouse (wheel) or trackpad (side-touch, or pinch) zoom inputs.
- Mouse Rotation Sensitivity: This slider controls how responsive the game is to your mouse (middle-click-drag) rotation inputs.
Panning Sensitivity: This slider controls how responsive the game is to
your mouse (right-click-drag) or trackpad (right-click-trackpad-drag)
- Use Autosaves. This toggle enables or disables the automatic periodic saves the game performs. The default is on.
Mugshots: This button exports an image of each beetle in your
collection to your screenshot directory. They are png files on a
- Open Screenshots: This button opens a
file explorer window in the screenshots directory, to make it easy to
locate the beetle mugshots, or other save files for the game.
Game Play Options
Auto-Pause: This toggle controls whether the game pauses simulation
progress in the Nest when transitioning to other screens, such as the
Map, or Breeding. The default is on.
- Disable Tutorial: This
toggle controls whether you see first-time-tooltips at points in the
game when you first encounter something new. The default is on.
Dialogs: This button resets all the first-time-tooltips for the
tutorial, in case you missed something, and want to read them again.
Tip Delay Time: This slider controls how long to delay before showing
pop up tooltips. If you find tooltips are getting in the way as you
move the mouse around the UI, try increasing this time.
This button opens the cheat menu, which consists of:
- Add Goop: Adds 1000 Goop to your balance.
- Reset Map Task Counts: Resets all tasks on the map to their original count.
Beetle Needs: Resets the Needs of all Beetles in the Nest to 100%. This
will also cause young Beetles to become fully grown.